Monday, December 6, 2010

Lighting the Candle of Love - Advent Week 2

I had planned on writing a long, in depth post about love. But, as many times before, life caught up with me. As I was sitting here thinking about what I should post, two thoughts came to mind. The first was that even though I don't have an extensive post to share, I spent the time I could have been writing trying my best to live love in my life and share it with those I came in contact with. The second thought was that Mother Teresa has many quotes that talk about love of your neighbor. So, though I am quite disappointed that I do not have that long post to share with you, I do have Mother Teresa's wisdom to share. She has many quotes about God's love and the love of neighbor. This one particularly stood out to me, and I hope it will do the same for you.

"There is a terrible hunger for love. We all experience that in our lives - the pain, the loneliness. We must have the courage to recognize it. The poor you may have right in your own family. Find them. Love them." -Mother Teresa

Another place I knew there was reference to love is in 1 Corinthians. This verse is well known, but it clearly defines what love is and should be.

"Love is patient and kind; love is no jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on it's own; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 

"So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

I extend an invitation and encourage you to read 1 Corinthians Chapter 13, as it includes a wealth of information about 'The Way of Love.' In closing, I would like to add a single bible verse for you to ponder. In John 15:12, Jesus says "...love one another as I have loved you."

No comments:

Post a Comment